by Jillian Crocker, Administrative Assistant
In the midst of a pandemic, hospitals and medical facilities have felt a huge impact as many have exhausted their medical supplies. Many are searching for strategies and others available to help. Many facilities are working incredibly hard to create essential equipment to aid in the fight and eradication of the spread of COVID-19.
To aid in the cause, Desktop Metal is offering its services to medical equipment manufacturers and those making “critical medical parts.” They are opening up access to their technology resources and providing free 3D printing services. The desired part must meet the guidelines put in place by Desktop Metal and deemed an “urgent need in the medical community.”
Part Guidelines by Desktop Metal
Desktop Metal systems work best with small, complex metal parts. Please follow the guidelines below for parts that are needed.
- Part must be able to be used in 17-4 Stainless Steel
- Part size should be smaller than 2cm x 2cm x 2cm – When requesting the part needed, you must fill out this form and answer the following questions:
- Explain what the part is and what it is used for.
- The quantity needed.
- Does this part meet the specifications and Part Guidelines?
- Is this a life saving, time-sensitive part?
- Are you a medical equipment manufacturer or healthcare provider?
- If you have a CAD file of this part it can be uploaded and any additional files to provide the information.
Upon submitting this form, Desktop Metal will then ensure the part meets all requirements and is “feasible” for their company to make the request. Desktop Metal has provided a statement in the case of further COVID-19 precautions:
“Please note, this is a fluid situation. Shelter in place or other mandatory orders may alter our ability to rapidly respond.”
Desktop Metal, as well as many other manufacturing companies, are making a great initiative to help the most vulnerable assets of our nation to combat this virus and health care professionals need all the support that we are able to provide to aid those affected by COVID-19.
Please visit the Desktop Metal Website for more details on how to get started with 3D Printing. To submit your request by email, your information can be sent to email@example.com or visit the website here to fill out the official Desktop Metal inquiry form.
Please contact your local health care facilities to inquire about how you can make a difference. And you can also make a difference by donating to World Health Organizations via the button below.